Embarking on an RV adventure is always thrilling, but a reliable generator is essential to keep you powered up and comfortable during your journey. As 2023 approaches, we’ve researched and compiled the top-rated, best-selling generators for your recreational vehicle needs.
Our list covers everything from budget-friendly options to high-powered units with advanced features tailored for various camping or traveling requirements. In this blog post, we’ll break down essential factors to consider when choosing an RV generator and introduce our top picks that guarantee smooth sailing as you hit the open road in 2023.
- When choosing the best RV generator, consider factors such as power output, portability and size, fuel type and consumption, noise level, durability and reliability, emissions and environmental compliance, warranty and price.
- Inverter generators are generally more fuel-efficient and produce cleaner power than conventional generators. The Yamaha EF2000iSv2 is the quietest inverter generator on the market while Honda EU3000is offers a high-quality alternative with almost as low of a noise level.
- The Westinghouse iGen2200 is the best overall RV generator for 2023 due to its advanced inverter technology providing clean and stable power output alongside features such as economy mode switch that improves fuel mileage whilst reducing noise levels.
- It’s important to prioritize durability and reliability when choosing an RV generator by looking for sturdy frames made from high-quality materials. Check out brands such as Honda or Generac GP3500iO Generator known for their reputation for lasting decades without any major issues.
How To Choose The Best RV Generator
When choosing the best RV generator, consider factors such as power output, portability and size, fuel type and consumption, noise level, durability and reliability, emissions and environmental compliance, warranty and price.
Inverter Vs. Conventional Generator
Inverter generators have become the go-to choice for RV owners, thanks to their numerous advantages over conventional generators. For one, inverter generators provide a cleaner and more stable power output, which is crucial when powering sensitive electronics like laptops, tablets, or smartphones.
On the other hand, conventional generators produce raw AC power that may not be suitable for delicate devices. Furthermore, inverter generators are generally more fuel-efficient because they adjust engine speed based on the load requirements.
This feature not only saves you money on fuel but also reduces emissions compared to their conventional counterparts.
Power output is a vital factor to consider when selecting the ideal RV generator for your needs. It refers to the amount of electricity a generator can produce, typically measured in watts.
For example, if you have a 1,000-watt microwave and an 800-watt refrigerator running at the same time along with several smaller electronic devices that use 400 watts combined, you’ll need a generator with at least a 2,200-watt capacity.
Keep in mind that some appliances require more power during startup – often referred to as “startup” or “surge” watts – than they do while running continuously.
Portability And Size
As avid campers and RV enthusiasts, we understand the importance of portability and size when it comes to choosing an RV generator. A compact and easy-to-carry generator allows for more precious space within your vehicle while also making setup and transportation less cumbersome.
For example, the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 is not only known for being one of the lightest 2000W generators available at just 44 pounds but also boasts a super-compact design measuring around 19 inches in length.
The Champion Power Equipment 76533 Portable Generator is another excellent choice that combines power output with a convenient foldaway handle for easy maneuvering while remaining relatively lightweight at approximately 95 pounds.
As an RV enthusiast, weight is one of the most important factors to consider when choosing a generator. The physical size and weight of the generator should be assessed based on your storage space and transportation options.
Inverter generators are generally less heavy than conventional generators, making them more convenient for RVers who prioritize portability.
It’s worth noting that built-in generators are typically heavier than portable models, but they offer convenience since they’re already installed in your vehicle. If you prefer a gasoline or propane-powered model which weighs less than diesel models while still delivering impressive wattage output, you can also opt for options such as Durostar DS4000S or Champion Power Equipment 76533 Portable Generator which both weigh under 100 pounds and are easy to transport thanks to their wheels and handles.
One of the most crucial factors to consider when purchasing an RV generator is noise level. No one wants a loud and disruptive generator while enjoying their camping trip.
The Yamaha EF2000iSv2 is currently the quietest and lightest 2000W RV generator, with a noise level ranging from only 51-61 dBA. The Honda EU3000is and Champion 75531i generators are also highly-rated options that are almost as quiet, making them ideal for recreational use.
Fuel Type And Consumption
One important consideration when choosing the best RV generator is fuel type and consumption. Gasoline/petrol generators are a popular choice due to their convenience and affordability, but they can be noisy and less fuel-efficient compared to other options.
Diesel generators, on the other hand, provide more power at a lower cost per hour of operation and require less maintenance.
To ensure you choose the right fuel for your needs, consider factors such as energy efficiency, cost-effectiveness, availability of fuel in your area or on your route, and compatibility with your camper’s existing systems.
Don’t forget that regular maintenance can help improve overall fuel efficiency by ensuring optimal performance from your generator over time.
Durability And Reliability
When you’re looking for an RV generator, it’s important to prioritize durability and reliability. You never know when you might need your generator in an emergency situation, so you want to make sure it can hold up over time.
Look for generators with sturdy frames and high-quality materials that can withstand the wear and tear of travel on the road.
Additionally, make sure to read reviews from other campers or RVers who have used the generator before to get a sense of how reliable it is. Some popular options for durable and reliable RV generators include the Honda EU3000is, which has a reputation for lasting decades without any major issues, and Generac GP3500iO Generator, which is built with tough components that can handle rough conditions on camping trips.
Emissions And Environmental Compliance
It’s important to consider emissions and environmental compliance when choosing the best RV generator for your needs. Many states have strict regulations regarding generator emissions, and it’s crucial to choose a generator that is CARB compliant and meets these standards.
Another way to reduce your environmental impact is by using solar panels or battery banks in tandem with your generator. This not only decreases fuel consumption but also reduces noise pollution, allowing you to enjoy nature without disturbing others around you.
Warranty And Price
As RV generators can be a substantial investment, it’s essential to consider the warranty and price when choosing the right one for your needs. While some manufacturers offer lengthy warranties of up to five years, others may only provide a standard one-year warranty.
It’s important to compare and evaluate what kind of coverage you’re getting before making your purchase. When it comes to pricing, RV generators can range anywhere from $300 up to $3000 or more depending on various factors such as power output, features, and brand reputation.
Keep in mind that a higher-priced generator does not necessarily mean better quality or longevity.
Best Overall: Westinghouse IGen2200 Super Quiet & Lightweight Portable Inverter Generator
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is a super quiet and lightweight portable inverter generator that produces 2,200 starting watts and 1,800 running watts, making it perfect for RVs with limited power needs.
Features & Description (Westinghouse IGen2200)
As the best overall RV generator for 2023, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is your perfect companion on your camping or road trip adventure. This super quiet and lightweight portable inverter generator provides 2,200 watts of power, enough to run most RV appliances and electronics.
The iGen2200 uses advanced inverter technology that produces clean, stable, and reliable power output for delicate electronics such as laptops or smartphones. The economy mode switch further improves fuel mileage while keeping noise levels down to a minimum so that you can enjoy peace and quiet during your outdoor escapades.
To ensure safety and durability while on-the-go this generator is CARB compliant meeting strict emissions standards providing undisturbed power without harming the environment around you.
Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment 2200 Peak Watt Super Quiet & Lightweight Portable Inverter Generator, Gas Powered, Parallel Capable, Long Run Time
Pros & Cons (Westinghouse IGen2200)
The Westinghouse iGen2200 Super Quiet & Lightweight Portable Inverter Generator is a popular choice for RV enthusiasts. Here are some pros and cons to consider before purchasing:
- The iGen2200 is lightweight and easy to transport, making it perfect for RV camping trips.
- With a noise level of just 52 decibels at 25% load, the iGen2200 is one of the quietest generators available.
- It has a fuel – efficient economy mode switch and parallel connection ports, allowing you to save money on gas and increase power output when needed.
- The generator comes with various safety features, including an AC power generation indicator, oil warning light, and automatic engine shut-off if oil levels become too low.
- Backed by a 3 – year warranty, customers can feel secure in their purchase.
- Some customers have reported that the iGen2200 struggles to power larger RV appliances such as air conditioners or heaters.
- The carburetor of the generator is old – style and may clog if left unused for an extended period.
- The break – in period can be lengthy, which may prove inconvenient for those looking to use it right away.
Best Budget Option: WEN 56200i 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
The WEN 56200i is a budget-friendly RV generator that provides 2000 watts of power, making it ideal for powering small appliances and electronics during camping trips.
Features & Description (WEN 56200i)
The WEN 56200i is a portable inverter generator that delivers reliable power for your RV camping needs. It produces 2000 watts of surge power and 1600 watts of continuous running power, allowing you to run small appliances and gadgets while on the road.
The generator’s eco-mode feature adjusts fuel consumption automatically, increasing its fuel efficiency with THD levels between 0.3% and 1.2%.
One of the best features of the WEN 56200i is its impressively low noise level at only 51 decibels when operating at quarter load.
This portable inverter generator comes CARB compliant so you can rest assured knowing it is safe to use within California regulations plus offers additional safety features such as overload protection, low-fuel shutoff, and low-oil shutoff for added peace-of-mind during operation.
WEN 56200i 2000-Watt Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant,Black & Orange
Pros & Cons (WEN 56200i)
The WEN 56200i is a great budget option for RV generators, but as with any product, it has its pros and cons. Here are some of the key ones to consider:
- Affordable price point for a portable inverter generator
- Lightweight and easy to move around at only 48lbs
- Fuel – efficient, thanks to its economy mode switch
- Provides clean energy with low Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) levels between 0.3% and 1.2%
- Multiple plug options including two 120-volt 3-prong receptacles, one 12-volt receptacle, and one 5-volt USB port.
- Safety features such as overload protection, low-fuel shutoff, and low-oil shutoff.
- Comes with a good warranty of three years
- May not be powerful enough for heavier power needs; it has a maximum output of only 2000 watts.
- Though quieter than many other generators at just over 50 dBA, it’s still noisy enough to disturb close neighbors.
- The plastic case could be more durable than it is
- The run time is relatively short – only about six hours on a single tank of gas at half load.
Best Dual Fuel Generator: Champion Power Equipment 76533 Portable Generator
The Champion Power Equipment 76533 Portable Generator is a dual fuel RV generator that offers both propane and gasoline options, providing flexibility for fuel usage depending on availability and convenience.
Features & Description (Champion Power Equipment 76533)
The Champion Power Equipment 76533 is a great choice for those in need of a powerful and versatile portable generator for their RV. This generator provides an impressive 3,800 watts of running power and can run on either gasoline or propane, making it an ideal option for those who want the flexibility to choose between different fuel types.
In terms of RV compatibility, the Champion Power Equipment 76533 is RV ready with its 30-amp outlet that powers major appliances such as air conditioners and microwaves without any trouble.
It has a noise level of just 68 dBA at 23 feet, which is relatively quiet considering its high power output. Its large tank capacity allows it to run up to nine hours on gasoline or ten-and-a-half hours on propane.
Overall, the Champion Power Equipment 76533 packs quite a punch when it comes to power capabilities alongside being budget-friendly too! With a robust steel frame design providing durability while being easy to move around thanks to never-flat tires – It’s no wonder why so many people have chosen this as one of their top-rated best-selling generators for their RV needs in upcoming years!
Champion Power Equipment 76533 4750/3800-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Generator with Electric Start
Pros & Cons (Champion Power Equipment 76533)
Here are the pros and cons of the Champion Power Equipment 76533 RV generator, so you can decide if it’s the right choice for your needs:
- Dual fuel feature provides flexibility and convenience for RVers who may have limited access to only one type of fuel.
- The Quick Touch Panel allows for easy access to controls and outlets.
- Offers a good balance of power and features, with 3,800 starting watts and 3,400 running watts when powered by gasoline, and 3,420 starting watts and 3,060 running watts when powered by propane.
- Comes with a 3 – year limited warranty and free lifetime technical support from Champion.
- Durable and reliable with a 224cc Champion engine.
- Heavy weight of 119 pounds makes it difficult to move around.
- Relatively high noise level compared to some other RV generators on the market, at 68 dBA at a distance of 23 feet.
- Fuel tank capacity is somewhat limited, with 3.4 gallons when using gasoline and 20 pounds when using propane.
Most Fuel-Efficient: Honda EU3000iS Inverter Generator
The Honda EU3000iS Inverter Generator is the most fuel-efficient option on our list, providing up to 20 hours of continuous operation on a single tank of gas.
Features & Description (Honda EU3000iS)
The Honda EU3000iS is a high-quality inverter generator that provides reliable and clean power for your RV needs. It has a peak power output of 3,000 watts with a continuous output of 2,800 watts.
This generator is incredibly quiet compared to its competitors in the market, making it an excellent option for those who prioritize peace and quiet on their camping trips or when using it as backup power at home.
One feature that sets this generator apart from others is its eco-mode function which automatically adjusts engine speed according to the load, improving fuel efficiency while minimizing noise levels; this helps keep operating costs low as well! Additionally, Honda has added an oil sensor that turns off the unit when the oil level gets too low – preventing any potential damage to the engine.
This top-rated RV generator runs on gasoline with a tank capacity of up to 3.4 gallons allowing it to run continuously at full load for about eight hours; however, because of its incredible fuel-efficient mechanism (eco-mode), running time can go up to almost nine hours.
Honda Power Equipment EU3000IS 3000W 120V Portable Home Gas Power Generator
Pros & Cons (Honda EU3000iS)
Here are the pros and cons of the Honda EU3000iS inverter generator:
- It is extremely quiet, rated between 49 and 58dB, making it perfect for use in campgrounds or other areas where noise levels need to be kept low.
- The eco mode helps to maximize fuel efficiency by adjusting the engine speed based on the load, allowing it to run up to 20 hours on a single tank of gas.
- It has an oil sensor that shuts off the generator if the oil is too low, preventing engine damage.
- The Honda EU3000iS is CARB compliant and approved for sale in California.
- It provides 3,000 watts of peak power, enough to run most RV appliances and electronics.
- It comes with a non-RV 30-amp plug, requiring an adapter to connect it to an RV.
- The Honda EU3000iS has a higher price point than some other comparable models on the market.
Best For High Power Needs: Generac GP3500iO Generator
The Generac GP3500iO Generator is ideal for those who need high power output, providing 3,500 watts of peak wattage and a consistent 3,000 watts.
Features & Description (Generac GP3500iO)
The Generac GP3500iO is a powerful RV generator that’s designed for high power needs. This top-rated and best-selling generator has a maximum power output of 3500 watts and a rated output of 3000 watts, making it ideal for powering multiple appliances and electronics at once.
One of the most impressive features of this generator is its noise level – only 57 dB, which is much quieter than many other generators in its class. With up to 11 hours of runtime at 25% load or 8 hours at 50% load, you can enjoy all the comforts of home while camping without worrying about running out of power.
Thanks to its PowerRush Technology, the Generac GP3500iO delivers over 50% more starting capacity than standard RV generators. This means that you can easily power all your appliances without worrying about overloading the system or sacrificing performance.
Generac 7128 GP3500iO 3,500-Watt Portable Generator - PowerRUSH Technology for Increased Starting Capacity, Quieter & Lighter Design, True Power Technology, RV Ready, Enhanced Convenience
Pros & Cons (Generac GP3500iO)
If you’re looking for a high-power generator, the Generac GP3500iO might be the one for you. Here are some of its pros and cons to consider:
- Inverter technology produces clean and reliable power.
- Lightweight and portable for easy transportation.
- Provides up to 11 hours of run time at 25% load.
- Comes with two 120V AC outlets and one 120V 30A twist – lock outlet for RV use.
- Equipped with a low oil shutdown feature to prevent engine damage.
- Meets strict emissions standards and is CARB compliant.
- Relatively quiet during operation with a noise level of 57dBA.
- Comes with a 2 – year limited warranty.
- Higher price point compared to other generators on the market.
- Doesn’t have as many features as some other models in its class.
- The fuel tank capacity is lower than other similar generators.
While the Generac GP3500iO may have some limitations, it’s still a great option if you need a powerful generator that’s also portable and relatively quiet during operation.
Lightest Option: Yamaha EF2000iSv2 2000-Watt Portable Inverter
The Yamaha EF2000iSv2 is the perfect option for RVers looking for a generator with excellent portability and low noise level.
Features & Description (Yamaha EF2000iSv2)
I have personally used the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 and can confidently say that it is one of the best RV generators on the market. This inverter generator provides clean and reliable power for delicate electronics, making it perfect for RV camping trips.
The EF2000iSv2 is also incredibly quiet, producing a decibel level of only 51.5 at a quarter load.
One thing I love about this generator is that it comes with an ‘Oil Watch’ warning system, preventing engine damage due to low oil levels.
YAMAHA EF2200iS Inverter Generator, 2200 Watts, Blue
Pros & Cons (Yamaha EF2000iSv2)
Here are some pros and cons of the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 RV generator:
- It is the quietest and lightest 2000W RV generator on the market, weighing only 44lbs with a noise level of 51-61 dBA.
- As an inverter generator, it provides clean and reliable power for delicate electronics, offering 2,000 watts of peak power and 1,600 watts of continuous power.
- It has an economy mode switch that results in better fuel mileage and quieter operation.
- It runs on gasoline with a tank capacity of 1.1 gallons.
- It is CARB compliant and meets strict emissions standards.
- It has an ‘Oil Watch’ warning system that prevents engine damage due to low oil.
- The Yamaha brand has a reputation for quality and durability.
- It is more expensive than some other portable RV generators on the market.
- It requires a ‘dog bone’ or ‘puck’ RV adapter to connect to an RV.
Most Compact: Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart Series Inverter Generator
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart Series Inverter Generator is perfect for RVers who need a compact generator that can easily fit in tight spaces.
Features & Description (Briggs & Stratton P2200)
I personally love the Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart Series Inverter Generator for its compact and lightweight design. It’s perfect for anyone looking to power their RV without taking up too much space.
One feature that really stands out is the eco-mode switch, which adjusts the engine speed based on load demand for better fuel economy and reduced noise.
The P2200 also has two AC outlets and one DC outlet to charge your devices. Plus, with its low oil shutdown feature, you won’t have to worry about damaging the engine if you forget to check the oil level before use.
And with CARB compliance, it meets strict emissions standards making it an environmentally conscious choice as well.
Briggs & Stratton P2400 PowerSmart Series Inverter Generator with Quiet Power Technology and CO Guard, 2400 Starting Watts 1800 Running Watts, Black (030758)
Pros & Cons (Briggs & Stratton P2200)
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart Series Inverter Generator is a fantastic option for those looking for something compact and lightweight. Here are some of the pros and cons to consider before purchasing:
- Compact size makes it easy to transport and store.
- Economy mode switch allows for better fuel mileage and quieter operation.
- Clean and reliable power suitable for delicate electronics.
- Comes with a 3 – year warranty.
- Gasoline – powered and only has a tank capacity of 1.1 gallons, so may require frequent refills during use.
- Only has a rated AC current of 16.7 amps max (surge) and 13.3 amps continuous at 120 volts, limiting its ability to power larger appliances or RV systems.
- Has fewer outlets than other comparable models, with two 120-volt ‘household’ outlets (20 amp style) and one 12-volt (8 amp) outlet to charge batteries.
Best For High-Tech Features: Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart Series Inverter Generator
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 is the perfect RV generator for those who want cutting-edge technology, with a remote control and Bluetooth connectivity that allows users to monitor fuel levels, run time, and power output from their smartphones.
Features & Description (Briggs & Stratton P4500)
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart Series Inverter Generator is perfect for those who want a high-tech generator. It features several LED indicators that show you all the important information you need to know about your generator’s status, including how much power it’s producing and how long until you’ll need to change its oil.
This inverter generator also boasts automatic stopping of power generation in case of electrical overload or low oil level, making it a safe choice for RV owners. The engine is single-cylinder with 4-stroke and air-cooled, ensuring durability even under heavy use.
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 has a relatively quiet operation between 58-63 dBA noise levels and comes with a fuel tank capacity of 1.1 gallons, allowing up to ten hours operation time at quarter load rates.
Briggs & Stratton 30795 P4500 PowerSmart Series, Electric Start, Powered Engine Inverter Generator, 4500-Watt, Gray
Pros & Cons (Briggs & Stratton P4500)
The Briggs & Stratton P4500 PowerSmart Series Inverter Generator is a high-tech generator with many features. Here are some of its pros and cons that you need to consider before making your purchase decision:
- High-tech: The P4500 comes with a digital display that shows the generator’s performance metrics, including power output and runtime. It also has Quiet Power Technology, making it 60% quieter than standard generators.
- Portable: The generator is relatively lightweight at 115 pounds, with a telescoping handle and wheels for easy maneuverability.
- Multiple outlets: The P4500 has several outlets, including two 120V household outlets, one 120V-30A RV outlet, and two USB outlets.
- Fuel-efficient: It has a fuel-efficient engine that can run for up to 16 hours on a single tank of gas.
- Clean power output: The P4500 is an inverter generator, providing clean and stable power for sensitive electronics.
- Emissions: Some customers have raised concerns about the emissions associated with using this generator. It is not as environmentally friendly as solar or wind power alternatives.
- Fuel requirements: The P4500 requires gasoline to operate effectively. This means you need to keep a stockpile of gasoline on hand if you want to use it consistently.
- Running costs: While the P4500 provides high-quality output and numerous features, it can be an expensive investment compared to other generators in its class.
- Weight: At 115 pounds, the P4500 may be too heavy for some users who wish to transport it frequently.
Best For Easy Conveyance: PowerSmart Generator PS5020
The PowerSmart Generator PS5020 is a highly portable and lightweight option, with a compact design that makes it easy to transport and store in small spaces.
Features & Description (PowerSmart Generator PS5020)
I am thrilled to introduce you to one of the top-rated and best-selling RV generators for 2023, the PowerSmart Generator PS5020. This generator is designed for easy conveyance and comes with a handle and wheels that allow you to move it around easily.
The PS5020 features a display panel that shows the fuel level, voltage output, and frequency. It also has a 4-gallon fuel tank that can run for up to ten hours at 50% load, ensuring uninterrupted operation.
What sets PS5020 apart from other generators is its noise level of only 68 dBa at a distance of twenty-three feet- making it relatively quiet during operation. The low-oil shut-off sensor ensures protection against potential damage caused by insufficient oil levels; not only does it provide additional safety but also an extended lifespan towards your device while delivering efficient performance.
PowerSmart 3500-Watt Portable Inverter Generator Gas Powered, Super Quiet Outdoor Generator RV Ready for Home Use, CARB Compliant
Pros & Cons (PowerSmart Generator PS5020)
The PowerSmart Generator PS5020 is a top-rated and best-selling RV generator that offers many benefits for campers and RV enthusiasts. Here are some of the pros and cons to consider:
- The generator is lightweight and easy to transport, making it a great option for camping trips.
- With a rated output of 3,500 watts and a surge output of 4,000 watts, it can power most RV appliances.
- The generator has a large fuel tank that allows it to run for up to 10 hours at 50% load.
- It comes equipped with multiple outlets that allow you to easily connect different devices.
- The automatic voltage regulator ensures stable voltage output and protection against power surges.
- The generator is EPA and CARB compliant, meaning it can be used in all 50 states.
- It comes with a 2 – year limited warranty.
- Some users have reported that the generator can be quite noisy, which may be an issue for those who want quieter operation.
- This model may not be suitable for powering larger air conditioning units in larger RVs due to its limited power output.
Best Hybrid Option: Duromax XP2200EH Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator
The Duromax XP2200EH Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator is perfect for those who want the flexibility to use either propane or gasoline and offers a compact design with 2,200 starting watts and 1,800 running watts.
Features & Description (Duromax XP2200EH)
Looking for a reliable, portable, and efficient power source for your RV travels? Look no further than the Duromax XP2200EH hybrid portable inverter generator. This top-rated and best-selling option can run on both gasoline and propane fuel, giving you flexibility and cost savings when it comes to refueling.
One of the standout features of the Duromax XP2200EH is its noise level. At just 52dB, it’s one of the quietest generators in its class. Plus, with a built-in eco mode switch that maximizes fuel efficiency and reduces noise levels even further, you can enjoy peaceful camping trips without worrying about disturbing your neighbors.
But perhaps what sets the Duromax XP2200EH apart from other generators is its lightweight design – weighing in at only 53 pounds – making it easy to transport and store in an RV or camper van.
And with a fuel tank capacity of 1.1 gallons that can run up to eight hours on a full tank of gasoline (or six hours using propane), you won’t have to worry about constant refueling during extended trips.
Pros & Cons (Duromax XP2200EH)
The Duromax XP2200EH Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator is a popular choice for RV enthusiasts, but it has both advantages and drawbacks. Below are the pros and cons of this hybrid option:
- The generator runs on both gasoline and propane, allowing for more flexibility in fuel options.
- It produces 2,200 watts of starting power and 1,800 watts of running power, making it suitable for powering up most RV appliances.
- With a noise level of 52 dBA, it is considerably quieter than other options in its class.
- The eco mode switch helps conserve fuel by adjusting the engine speed to match the current load demand.
- The low – oil shutdown mechanism turns off the engine automatically if oil levels drop too low.
- It is CARB compliant, meaning it meets strict emissions standards set by California authorities.
- At only 53 pounds and dimensions of 20″ L x 11″ W x 18″ H, it is compact and easy to move around.
- The generator comes with a 3 – year warranty.
- Some users have reported difficulty starting the generator in cold weather conditions without using an external battery or jumper cables.
- It has a relatively small fuel tank size compared to other generators in its class, so you may need to refuel more frequently on longer trips.
RV Generator Accessories And Maintenance Tips
To keep your RV generator running smoothly, consider purchasing accessories like altitude kits and USDA Forest Service approved spark arrestors, and make sure to perform regular maintenance tasks such as checking the oil level, cleaning the air filter, and changing the fuel filter.
If you plan to take your RV generator up into the mountains or other high-altitude locations, it’s important to consider how thinner air can impact its performance. At higher altitudes, power output decreases by 3.5% for every 1000 feet above sea level climbed.
However, there is a solution: altitude kits can be used to adjust the fuel injection rate of generators so that they operate safely and effectively at higher elevations.
Regular maintenance is also crucial for keeping your RV generator running smoothly, no matter where you travel. Be sure to lubricate essential parts and avoid letting fuel stagnate in the tank between uses – this will help extend the lifespan of your generator over time and ensure that it’s ready when you need it most.
USDA Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestor
It’s important to note that when using a generator in national forests, a USDA Forest Service approved spark arrestor is necessary. This is because tiny, hot carbon particles emitted by combustion engines can easily start wildfires.
To prevent this, many generator models have spark arrestors fitted as standard. These devices capture the carbon particles before they are released into the air and ignite any combustible materials nearby.
It’s always best to check whether your generator model comes with a spark arrestor and if it meets national forest regulations before heading out on your camping trip.
In conclusion, choosing the best RV generator can be a daunting task. With so many options available in the market, it’s important to consider your specific needs and requirements before making a purchase.
Whether you prefer inverter or conventional generators, high power output or fuel efficiency, quiet operation or budget-friendly options – there is an RV generator on this list that will suit your needs perfectly.
Remember to also consider factors such as portability, weight, noise level, fuel type and consumption when selecting an RV generator.
Investing in a reliable and efficient RV generator will enhance your camping experience by providing power backup for all appliances including air conditioning units during emergencies or off-grid situations.
1. What are the top-rated RV generators for 2023?
The top-rated RV generators for 2023 include models from well-known brands such as Honda, Yamaha, and Generac. These generators have been tested for reliability, fuel efficiency, noise level, and ease of use to ensure they meet the needs of RVers.
2. How do I choose the best generator for my RV?
When choosing a generator for your RV it is important to consider factors such as wattage output needed to power all of your appliances comfortably while also keeping in mind fuel economy ratings that dictate runtime without needing to refuel regularly during trips.
3. What features should I look for in an RV generator?
Some key features you should look out for when purchasing an rv generator include portability & weight (especially important if bringing outside vehicle into other settings), automatic shutoff sensors that minimize risk posed by carbon monoxide poisoning; electric start models which make starting up easy & user-friendly with no need strain oneself manually operating pull cords.
4. Can I run my air conditioner on an RV generator?
Yes! Most modern air condition units require between 1000-4000 watts depending upon size/number used so finding a unit capable providing enough wattage is necessary before expecting optimal performance long-term utilization – consult product specs or licensed professionals prior making purchase decisions about what will work best under specific conditions like seasonal/weather patterns-faced throughout travels experienced !