Introduction To The Best 30 Amp RV Generator
Embarking on an RV adventure demands a reliable source of power to keep your trip comfortable and enjoyable. A 30-amp RV generator is the perfect solution, offering a cost-effective and portable means of electricity for all your needs.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the top 30-amp RV generators available in the market today, comparing their features such as size, weight, reliability, fuel efficiency, noise level, and more.
- A 30-amp RV generator is essential for any RV traveler who needs a reliable and cost-effective power source to run their appliances and electronics on the road.
- When choosing a 30 – amp RV generator, factors such as size and weight, reliability, fuel efficiency, noise level, and price should all be considered.
- Our top picks for the best 30-amp RV generators include the Westinghouse WGen9500DF for overall performance, WEN 56380i for budget-friendly option, Westinghouse iGen4500 for quiet operation, Champion Power Equipment 200986 for eco-friendliness, and Champion 3400 with electric start.
Why A 30-Amp RV Generator Is Essential For RV Travelers
One of the reasons a 30-amp RV generator is crucial for RV travelers is its cost-effectiveness. Compared to larger 50-amp generators, these smaller units provide sufficient power output while consuming less fuel.
As a result, you can save on fuel costs during your trips without sacrificing performance or comfort.
In addition to being budget-friendly, another advantage of using a 30-amp RV generator is its portability. Most portable generators are compact and lightweight which makes them perfect for those who enjoy traveling with minimal constraints.
Finally, noise levels play a significant role in making sure your travels are enjoyable and neighbor-friendly at campgrounds or national parks where quiet hours may be enforced.
Overall, investing in the right 30-Amp RV generator not only saves you money but also provides convenience and ensures compliance with rules set by camping locations across the country; hence it’s essential for every serious RVer!
Factors To Consider When Choosing A 30-Amp RV Generator
When choosing a 30-amp RV generator, it’s important to consider factors such as size, reliability, fuel efficiency, noise level, and price.
Size And Weight
One crucial factor to consider when choosing a 30-Amp RV generator is its size and weight, as these elements greatly impact portability and ease of use.
Imagine trying to move a cumbersome generator weighing over 100 lbs each time you need to set up camp! Lighter options around the market include smaller 2,000-watt generators known for their impressive portability and reduced noise levels.
I’ve come across numerous fellow RVers who struggled with heavy generators in the past and have since opted for lighter models – saving them both physical effort and valuable storage space in their vehicles.
Reliability And Performance
Reliability and performance are crucial factors to consider when choosing a 30-amp RV generator.
To assess reliability, look for generators made by reputable brands with solid warranties as they typically use high-quality components.
Additionally, check customer reviews and opt for models with readily available spare parts in case repairs are needed down the road. In terms of performance, consider factors such as fuel efficiency, clean power output (important for sensitive electronics), and versatility between gasoline or propane options.
Fuel efficiency is a critical factor to consider when choosing a 30-Amp RV generator. The higher the load on a generator, the more fuel it will consume. This means that choosing the right sized generator for your power needs can save you money in the long run by reducing how much fuel you need to purchase.
Inverter generators tend to be more fuel efficient compared to conventional generators because they adjust their engine speed based on demand, which reduces unnecessary fuel consumption.
One crucial factor to consider when choosing a 30-Amp RV generator is the noise level. You don’t want your peaceful camping experience to be ruined by a loud and obnoxious generator.
Inverter generators are generally quieter than conventional open frame generators, making them ideal for use in campgrounds and national parks where noise restrictions are enforced.
Price And Additional Features
When it comes to price, a 30-amp RV generator can range from around $350 for the Westinghouse WGen3600v Portable Generator to $850 for the Champion Power Equipment 200953 Open Frame Generator.
In terms of additional features, there are several things to look out for depending on your needs. Some generators come with USB ports for charging devices, while others have boost power control that automatically adjusts the output based on demand.
Dual fuel models like the Westinghouse WGen9500DF offer added versatility by allowing you to run on both gasoline and propane. And for those who prioritize quietness, the WEN 56380i is known for being super quiet thanks to its inverter technology.
Best Overall: Westinghouse WGen9500DF
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is a powerful and reliable dual-fuel generator that can provide up to 9,500 watts of power, making it our top pick for the best overall 30-amp RV generator.
With features like electric start, fuel efficiency, and carbon monoxide monitoring, this generator is an excellent choice for RVers who want a dependable power source on the road.
Features & Description (Westinghouse WGen9500DF)
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is the best overall generator for a 30-amp RV. Here’s why:
- Dual fuel: Runs on both gasoline and propane for flexibility in fuel options.
- Electric start: Comes with a remote start key fob for convenience in starting and stopping the generator.
- Wattage output: Capable of producing a peak wattage of 12,500 watts and rated wattage of 9,500 watts, making it suitable for running multiple AC units, appliances, and electronics.
- Fuel capacity: Has a fuel tank capacity of 6.6 gallons, providing up to 12 hours of continuous use at half load.
- Receptacles: Equipped with multiple outlets including one TT-30R outlet (standard 30-amp RV receptacle), two GFCI 120V duplex receptacles, one L14-30R outlet, and two USB ports.
- Durable frame: Built with an all-steel frame and never-flat tires for easy transportation and durability.
- Voltage regulation: Features an automatic voltage regulator that provides stable power output to protect your devices from damage due to power surges or dips.
- Low oil shutdown: Automatically shuts down the engine when oil levels are low to prevent damage.
- Noise level: Relatively quiet for its size at a noise level of 73 decibels.
- Warranty: Backed by a 3-year warranty and lifetime technical support.
The Westinghouse WGen9500DF is designed to provide reliable power on the go, making it an excellent choice for RVers in need of backup power during travels or camping trips. Its dual fuel option allows users to choose between gasoline or propane as their fuel source while its electric start feature ensures ease-of-use. With its high wattage output capability, durable construction, and added features like USB ports, this generator is the perfect companion for any RV adventure.
Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment 9500 Peak Watt Home Backup Portable Generator, Remote Electric Start with Auto Choke, Transfer Switch Ready 30A Outlet, Gas Powered, CARB Compliant
Pros & Cons (Westinghouse WGen9500DF)
Before diving into the pros and cons of the Westinghouse WGen9500DF, let’s consider the key factors that make this generator stand out as the best overall 30-amp RV generator.
|Dual-fuel capability allows for versatile fuel options||Quite heavy at 220 pounds, making it difficult to move and transport|
|Peak wattage of 12,500 watts and rated wattage of 9,500 watts provide ample power for your RV needs||Noise level of 73 decibels might be too loud for some users|
|Large fuel tank enables up to 12 hours of runtime at 50% load||Not EPA or CARB compliant, which could limit its use in certain areas|
|Electric start button and remote start key fob offer convenient starting options||Higher price point of around $1,200-$1,500 might not be suitable for all budgets|
|Comes with a three-year limited warranty and lifetime technical support from Westinghouse|
Taking into account these advantages and disadvantages, it’s clear that the Westinghouse WGen9500DF is a high-performing, reliable, and versatile choice for RV travelers. However, its weight, noise level, and price may be concerning for some users.
Best Budget-Friendly: WEN 56380i
The WEN 56380i is a highly rated and affordable option for those on a budget, with a weight of only 110.8 pounds and an impressive fuel efficiency of up to eight hours at half load on 2.2 gallons of gasoline.
Features & Description (WEN 56380i)
I highly recommend the WEN 56380i as a budget-friendly option for RV travelers. Here are its key features and description:
- Peak wattage of 3,800 watts and rated wattage of 3,400 watts
- Weighs less than 100 lbs, making it compact and lightweight for easy transportation
- Produces clean power that is safe for sensitive electronics such as laptops and smartphones
- RV-ready with built-in TT-30R plug and amp transfer system that supports a 50 Amp generator outlet
- Provides up to 8.5 hours of runtime when running half a load on just one gallon of gasoline
- Includes two three-prong 120V receptacles, one AC 120V NEMA TT-30R RV receptacle, one DC cigarette-lighter-style 12V receptacle, and one USB port for charging personal electronics.
- Comes with a two – year warranty, nationwide network of skilled service technicians support the brand.
While the WEN 56380i is not powerful enough to run an RV air conditioner or multiple high-wattage appliances simultaneously due to its modest size, it’s still an excellent option for those who want a reliable generator without breaking the bank. It’s also important to note that while cheaper generators may be available on the market, they may not be reliable or may lack readily available spare parts. The WEN is backed by a reputable brand with excellent customer support.
WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start
Pros & Cons (WEN 56380i)
Before we dive into the pros and cons of the WEN 56380i, it is essential to understand its features and benefits. The WEN 56380i is an excellent choice for RVers looking for a budget-friendly and quiet generator. Now, let’s take a look at the pros and cons.
|Cost-effective and budget-friendly option||Cannot produce enough power to run an RV air conditioner|
|Super quiet operation with a noise level of just 57 decibels||At 100 lbs, it may be heavy for some users to transport|
|3,800 watts of power, enough for most RV appliances and electronics||Air filter cleaning and oil changes can be challenging due to design|
|Up to 8.5 hours of runtime at a 50% load||Not designed to run heavy power-consuming appliances|
|Fuel-efficient, operating on 1.18 gallons of fuel||Limited customer service and support|
It’s important to weigh the pros and cons when choosing the best 30-amp RV generator for your needs. The WEN 56380i is an excellent option for those looking for a quiet, fuel-efficient, and budget-friendly generator, but keep in mind that it may not be suitable for running heavy power-consuming appliances like air conditioners.
Best Quiet Operation: Westinghouse IGen4500
The Westinghouse iGen4500 offers exceptional quiet operation with its innovative design and inverter technology, making it a great pick for RVers who value peace and quiet during camping trips.
Features & Description (Westinghouse IGen4500)
If you’re looking for a super quiet generator that is perfect for camping and RV trips, the Westinghouse iGen4500 is definitely worth considering. Here are some features and descriptions of this powerful machine:
- The iGen4500 is an inverter generator with an output of 4500 watts and 3700 rated watts, making it ideal for powering up appliances while on the go.
- It has a digital display that shows fuel level, power output, voltage, and remaining run time. This feature allows you to easily monitor the status of your generator.
- The remote start feature lets you turn your generator on and off from a distance which can be handy
- The iGen4500 uses an advanced noise reduction technology which means it’s ultra – quiet, making it perfect for use in national parks and campgrounds where quiet operation is necessary.
- It’s equipped with dual fuel technology meaning that it can run on either gasoline or propane (LPG) giving you more choice depending on what fuel source you have at hand.
- It has a running time of up to 18 hours on a single tank of gasoline in economy mode, making it very fuel-efficient
- It’s RV ready with a built-in TT-30R plug making Rv hook-up easier
- It has two 120V AC outlets (NEMA TT-30R), one 120/240V twist-lock outlet (L14-30R), and two USB ports making coffee makers to phone chargers possible uses of this device.
- CARB compliant meaning that it meets the strict air quality standards set by California Air Resources Board
- The iGen4500 comes with CO Guard Carbon Monoxide Shutdown technology which means that if there is any sign of carbon monoxide detected around your generator, it will automatically shut down.
Overall, the Westinghouse iGen4500 is considered a reliable option from a reputable brand, making it perfect for RV enthusiasts and anyone looking for a powerful and quiet generator that is fuel-efficient and easy to use.
Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment 4500 Peak Watt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator, Remote Electric Start with Auto Choke, Wheel & Handle Kit, RV Ready, Gas Powered, Parallel Capable
Pros & Cons (Westinghouse IGen4500)
When searching for a 30-amp RV generator, the Westinghouse iGen4500 is a top contender due to its numerous benefits. However, it’s important to consider both the pros and cons of this generator before making your final decision. Take a look at the table below to help weigh the advantages and disadvantages of the Westinghouse iGen4500.
|Highly portable and cost-effective||More expensive than some competitors|
|Peak wattage of 4,500 and rated wattage of 3,700||Heavier than some other 30-amp RV generators|
|Fuel efficient, running up to 18 hours on a single tank in economy mode|
|Quiet operation with a noise level as low as 52db|
|RV-ready with a built-in TT-30R plug for easy use|
|Includes a substantial warranty, indicating product reliability|
As you compare the Westinghouse iGen4500 to other 30-amp RV generators on the market, be sure to keep these pros and cons in mind so you can make an informed decision that best suits your needs.
Best Eco-Friendly: Champion Power Equipment 200986
The Champion Power Equipment 200986 is a highly-rated 30-amp RV generator that boasts of being eco-friendly, with its CARB-compliant engine and fuel-efficient features.
Features & Description (Champion Power Equipment 200986)
The Champion Power Equipment 200986 is a portable inverter generator that’s perfect for most 30-amp RVs. This dual-fuel generator has a peak wattage of 4,500 watts and a running wattage of 3,500 watts. Here are some key features that make this generator stand out from the rest:
- Eco-Friendly: The Smart Economy Mode saves fuel and extends the generator’s life, making it incredibly eco-friendly.
- RV Ready: The built-in TT-30R plug makes it easy to connect to your RV’s power system.
- Quiet Operation: With a noise rating of only 61 dB, you won’t even notice this generator is running.
- Lightweight Design: At only 97 pounds, this generator is relatively lightweight compared to other 3,500-watt generators on the market.
- Parallel Capable: You can connect two units for more power output thanks to its parallel capability.
- Electric Start: The push-button electric start makes starting the generator a breeze.
- LED Display: The LED display shows important information like fuel level, run time, voltage, and frequency.
- Dual Fuel Capability: This generator can run on either gasoline or propane, giving you more options when it comes to fueling up.
- Volt Guard Protection: Protects against power surges and makes it safe for sensitive electronics like phones or laptops.
Additionally, this generator comes with a three-year limited warranty and free lifetime technical support from Champion. It also has carb compliant certification and is equipped with CO Guard carbon monoxide shutdown technology.
Champion Power Equipment 200986 4500-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, RV Ready
Pros & Cons (Champion Power Equipment 200986)
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of the Champion Power Equipment 200986, so you can determine if it’s the right fit for your RV needs.
|Eco-friendly, with a 4500-watt output||Weighs 95lbs, which may be heavier than some other options|
|Fuel-efficient, with a runtime of up to 14.5 hours on a single tank of gas||May not be powerful enough for some larger RVs|
|Quiet operation||Electric start may require battery maintenance|
|Cold Start Technology for easy starting in cold temperatures||Limited to 120V 30A RV outlet compatibility|
|Portable and easy to transport, with dimensions of 23.2 x 17.7 x 20.1||None|
|Affordable option among 30-amp RV generators||None|
As you can see, the Champion Power Equipment 200986 has several impressive features that make it an excellent choice for RV travelers. However, the weight and potential power limitations may be a concern for some users. Ultimately, it’s essential to weigh the pros and cons to determine if this generator meets your specific needs.
Best With Electric Start: Champion 3400
The Champion 3400 is a powerful and reliable 30-amp RV generator that comes with an electric start feature for added convenience. With a noise level of only 59 decibels, this portable and CARB-compliant generator is perfect for camping in national parks or crowded campgrounds.
Features & Description (Champion 3400)
I recently came across the Champion 3400, and I must say, it’s an outstanding option for RV travelers. Here are some of its features and descriptions:
- Peak Wattage: The Champion 3400 has a peak wattage of 3400, which is enough to power most RV appliances.
- Rated Wattage: It also has a rated wattage of 3100, making it suitable for sustained use.
- Electric Start: The generator comes with an electric start feature that makes it easy to turn on.
- RV Ready: With a 30A RV outlet, the Champion 3400 is ready to be used with your RV right out of the box.
- Quiet Operation: With only 59 decibels of noise output, this generator is one of the quietest on the market.
- Fuel Efficiency: The Champion 3400 can run for up to 7.5 hours while using less fuel thanks to its economy mode feature.
- Parallel Capability: This generator also has parallel capability, allowing you to connect it with another Champion inverter for increased power output.
- Low Oil Shut-off Sensor: To prevent engine damage due to low oil levels, this generator has a built-in sensor that will shut off the engine automatically.
- Warranty and Technical Support: The Champion 3400 comes with a three-year limited warranty and lifetime technical support from their team of experts.
The Champion 3400 is moderately priced compared to other similar inverter generators on the market. So if you’re looking for an outstanding generator that offers reliable performance, fuel efficiency, and quietness suitable for your RV needs – consider checking out the Champion 3400.
Champion Power Equipment 200914 4250-Watt Open Frame Inverter Generator, Dual Fuel Technology
Pros & Cons (Champion 3400)
The Champion 3400 is an excellent choice for those seeking a 30-amp RV generator with electric start, but as with any product, it has its pros and cons. Below is a table that outlines these advantages and disadvantages.
|Reliable and efficient electric start||Some users have reported issues with the oil sensor|
|Lightweight and portable design||Unexpected engine shutdowns due to oil sensor issues|
|Fuel-efficient, with up to 7.5 hours runtime on a single tank of gas||Small fuel tank may require frequent refueling|
|Quiet operation suitable for outdoor settings||Not as powerful as some other 30-amp RV generators|
|Offers monetary savings and freedom for camping and boondocking||Higher price point compared to other models|
Considering these pros and cons, the Champion 3400 still remains a popular choice for RV enthusiasts who value convenience, portability, and quiet operation.
How To Hook Up A Generator To A 30-Amp RV
Hooking up a generator to your RV can be a bit confusing, but it’s not as difficult as you might think. Here are the steps:
- Make sure your generator and RV have compatible plugs. Most generators require a 30-amp twist-lock plug (NEMA L5-30), while most RVs use a 30-amp or 50-amp plug (NEMA TT-30 or NEMA 14-50). If they’re not compatible, you’ll need an adapter.
- Install a transfer switch kit if you haven’t already. A transfer switch kit allows you to safely transfer power from the generator to the RV without backfeeding electricity into the grid.
- Turn off all electrical devices in your RV and unplug it from shore power.
- Plug one end of the generator cord into the 30 – amp outlet on your generator and the other end into the appropriate outlet on your transfer switch.
- Flip the transfer switch into “generator” mode.
- Start your generator and let it warm up for a few minutes before turning on any appliances.
- Once your generator is running smoothly, turn on individual appliances one at a time, starting with the most essential ones like lights and refrigerator.
- If you want to run your air conditioner(s), turn them on last since they draw the most power from the generator.
- Monitor your fuel level and keep an eye on how much power each appliance is drawing to conserve fuel and avoid overloading your generator.
And that’s it! With these simple steps, you can be up and running with a reliable source of power for all of your RV adventures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Need more information? Here are some commonly asked questions about 30-amp RV generators to help you make an informed choice.
What Size Generator Do I Need For A 30-Amp RV?
If you’re wondering what size generator you need for a 30-Amp RV, the answer is one that can produce at least 3,600 watts. However, it’s often recommended to go a little higher to ensure your power needs are met comfortably.
A generator with an output of around 4,500 watts will provide enough power for your RV’s AC unit and other important appliances like your refrigerator and microwave.
It’s also important to note that while smaller generators may be more portable and easier to move around, they may not provide enough power output for all your electrical needs in an RV.
Are Inverter Generators Better For RVs?
As an RV traveler, you might be wondering if inverter generators are better for your needs. The answer is yes! Inverter generators are designed to produce clean power with less noise and fuel consumption compared to traditional generators.
One of the notable benefits of inverter generators is their suitability for outdoor activities such as camping or boondocking without disturbing other campers nearby. For instance, the Westinghouse iGen4500 is a popular choice among RV enthusiasts due to its quietness and ability to run up to 18 hours on a single tank of gas while producing clean energy suitable for all kinds of appliances, including AC units and refrigerators.
How Do I Maintain My RV Generator?
Maintaining your RV generator is crucial for its optimal performance and longevity. One of the most important aspects of maintenance is regular oil changes, air filter replacements, and fuel stabilizers.
Keeping the generator clean and free of debris can prevent overheating, while checking the spark plugs periodically can help avoid issues with starting or running.
Following the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule is important, as it ensures that all components are working correctly and efficiently. Regularly running the generator under load can help prevent problems with carburetors and fuel systems caused by prolonged periods of storage without use.
In conclusion, selecting the best 30-amp RV generator can be a daunting task, but it’s essential for any RV traveler who needs to power their appliances and electronics on the road.
Factors such as size and weight, fuel efficiency, and noise level should all be considered before making a purchase. Our top picks include the Westinghouse WGen9500DF for overall performance, WEN 56380i for budget-friendly option, Westinghouse iGen4500 for quiet operation, Champion Power Equipment 200986 for eco-friendliness, and Champion 3400 with electric start.
With these generators in your arsenal, you can enjoy boondocking adventures in remote locations or camping without relying on crowded campgrounds with electricity hookups.
1. What is a 30-amp RV generator?
A 30-amp RV generator is a type of power source that provides the necessary electrical current to run the appliances and other components within an RV designed for use with this power rating.
2. How do I choose the best 30-amp RV generator for my needs?
When selecting a 30-amp RV generator, it’s important to consider factors like wattage capacity, noise level, fuel efficiency, portability, and durability. It can also be helpful to read reviews from previous customers or consult with an expert in this area to find the best option given your unique circumstances.
3. Is it safe to operate a 30-Amp RV Generator inside my recreational vehicle?
It is generally not recommended to run any type of generator indoors due to risks associated with carbon monoxide poisoning and other hazards. If you require electricity while parked at a campsite or similar location, it’s advisable to start your outdoor-rated generator outside well away from your camper or trailer before connecting electrical cords inside where appliances can safely draw their needed power supply.
4. Where can I purchase reliable and high-quality 30-Amp generators for my camper or motorhome?
Retailers such as Camping World and Amazon offer many different options in terms of brand names & specifications targeted towards specific niches (i.e., quiet running models) depending upon desired uses/preferences (e.g., remote start feature). Additionally , local home improvement stores such as Home Depot may carry some types of generators appropriate for camping trips making selection easier by letting potential buyers see machines in person before buying online!